Tuesday, March 29, 2011

When i was in Uganda we read this book called http://www.whenhelpinghurts.org/ and it made me mad really mad because of the context I was in. All around me I heard people talking about how short term missions are awful, and hurting, and they should be stopped! You would of thought that they were talking about trip where people went and directly stole away from the poor. But well my feelings have changed since I've returned. maybe in a different way those trips do do that in a not directed way... Do I believe all short term missions are bad? Heavens No But I do believe some short term missions allow the impoverished to slip deeper into poverty. We must enable, not disable those we help. We must enable them to help themselves, because they are capable of it, Short term missions need to be about giving Hope (telling about Christ) and a Future ( involving the people of the area and enabling them to help themselves) not about relief, unless it is providing relief after a horrific natural disaster, so they can get to they place they once were.

No comments:

Post a Comment