Monday, April 4, 2011

My heart is broken, Back to school blues

  • 1-3% of Scotland's population are born-again Christians. 1
  • There are more registered witches in Scotland than clergy. 1
  • On average, two churches a week in Scotland close down due to falling memberships. 1
  • At least one third of the Church of Scotland ministers would today profess to be evangelical (400 out of 1200). 2
  • In the Church of Scotland, the curve of decline is steep, membership is almost in freefall – with 20,000 members leaving per year, churches closing left right and centre. 2
  • Callum Brown, claims it took several centuries to convert Britain to Christianity but less than 40 years for the country to forsake it. 3
  • In Scotland, 45 percent of those who align themselves with Christianity are over the age of 50, and 35 per cent of Church of Scotland followers at pensionable age. This is a stark contrast to the Muslim community, where a massive 31 per cent of followers are under the age of 16. 4

1. Pastor David Simpson, Calvary Christian Fellowship. http://www.wcmonline.org/scotland01/overview.html

2. Free Church of Scotland website. Article from David Robertson.
http://www.freechurch.org/robbo/robbocg.htm

3. Callum G. Brown is Professor of Religious and Cultural History at the University of Dundee. He teaches and researches in the history of community ritual, personal memory and secularisation. He is author of The Death of Christian Britain (2000) and Up-helly-aa (1998)

4. Alex Kay. © 2000-2003 Student Newspaper. Article: You mosque go to church. Reporting the first national census to take religious orientation into account was published by the Scottish Executive.

The worse day of the semester?

the day After spring break

and with how Gods been gearing my heart lately toward Scotland, Looking at the mountains don't really make me feel better,

I missed my family, and I just wanted to go home

but God is Good and he has brought me through

while breaking my heart for Scotland


Your Hands

-JJ Heller

I have unanswered prayers
I have trouble I wish wasn't there
And I have asked a thousand ways
That You would take my pain away
That You would take my pain away

I am trying to understand
How to walk this weary land
Make straight the paths that crookedly lie
Oh Lord, before these feet of mine
Oh Lord, before these feet of mine

When my world is shaking
Heaven stands
When my heart is breaking
I never leave Your hands

When You walked upon the Earth
You healed the broken, lost, and hurt
I know You hate to see me cry
One day You will set all things right
Yea, one day You will set all things right

When my world is shaking
Heaven stands
When my heart is breaking
I never leave Your hands

Your hands
Your hands that shape the world
Are holding me, they hold me still
Your hands that shape the world
Are holding me, they hold me still

When my world is shaking
Heaven stands
When my heart is breaking
I never leave You when...

When my world is shaking
Heaven stands
When my heart is breaking
I never leave...
I never leave Your hands



1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you had a bad day and that I wasn't able to talk much when you called. I love you sister! And I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete