Monday, October 24, 2011

I read this book this summer called hipster Christianity
and I just took the quiz again online and I'm extremely high on the christian hipster scale as embarrassing as that is, an astonishing 87 out of 121
and I'll admit its probably right
I would rather go to a church full of people in their eighties, then go to a megachurch
I would rather listen to hymns and go to a church that sings hymns with an organ so old fashioned that it is impossible to sing along, then listen to tobymac just once
My favorite christian authors are people like C.S Lewis, not Rick Warren
and well evangelism methods like tracts literally scare me, and give me nightmares
I was on the christian hipster side of things, before I knew what a hipster was
and I desperately don't want to be a hipster.
I want to be me and only me
but where does this lead me when my problem with mega churches is not that they are not cool, but I honestly believe they don't allow for enough community, and I believe they are the perfect avenue for consumer Christianity
and I believe tobymac and other ccm artist, are part of the reason Christians are so in a bubble they can't relate and therefore lead nonchristians to Christ
And I fervently believe in the timeless power of C.S Lewis's books
and I believe evangelism should be done by relationships, and methods such as tracts could lead people away from Christ

The book ends by talking about how the main goal of being a christian is being a disciple of Jesus, and leading others to christ. As Rob Bell says in one of his nooma videos( calm down I filter everything rob bell says through then lens of scripture) I want to be covered in the dust of my rabbi. Following him so closely that the dust he kicks up lands on me. But where does this leave me when I see such deep problems in the church, and desperately want to heal the pain the church has caused. I can't reject the church even though my inner christian hipster often times wants to. I have to work with the church, so it can heal from within. SO that people can get to know christ and to make him known. More on this topic watch Lord save me from your followers

No comments:

Post a Comment