Friday, January 22, 2010

i think I have a problem......

I think i just joined my 3rd, yes my 3rd ministry at CCU.
I'm officially in love with volunteering
or maybe its just that I'm in love with people, but I think we all already knew that
Tonight I spent hanging out with the homeless or might as well be homeless( they live in an apartment type shelter not sure of the whole deal)
and for one thing it dramatically changed my view of homeless people.
Everyone I'm pretty sure could read and some of the people were probably ten times smarter than me
most people seemed like they were not drunk or high
There was one guy who if I had passed him on the street I would of been sure he was your average joe. But no he was homeless. He just moved here from san diego and something happened with his apartment so now for the first time in his life he's homeless
For the most part the people I meet were either just old hippies who has a vision of the way they wished the world would be and it didn't quite fit out culture's perception of normal or for some it almost seemed the streets is where they found community. They only person who seemed self conscious about there situation at all was the guy from san diego.
In a way I learned something from the homeless last night, that community is of uptmost importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment